Analytical chemistry professional with key capabilities in instruction, organic chemistry procedures, laboratory instruction, and curriculum development. Strong skills in research and development, critical thinking, troubleshooting, method improvement, and classroom management. Exceptional written and verbal communicator, able to guide and teach others in various processes and procedures.
Ph. D. in Chemistry, University of Puerto Rico, 2014
Bachelor of Science in Natural Sciences, University of Puerto Rico, 2008
College of Chemists from Puerto Rico Licensure, #6048, 2016
University of Puerto Rico Cayey Campus, Cayey, P.R
Organic Chemistry Assistant Professor and Laboratory Instructor, 2017 to Present
Instructed students on organic chemistry processes, methodologies, and procedures. Oversaw laboratory and classroom settings for the Department of Chemistry. Created curriculum, tests, and learning activities. Assisted students with assignments, confusion, and other issues.
- Served as a key member of the Organic Chemistry course committee; coordinated organic chemistry course.
- Acted as member of Department Laboratory Safety Committee; prepared laboratory safety trainings for professors and students.
- Developing research project in the area of therapeutic nanoparticles for cancer treatment
Lilly del Caribe Inc. PR-01, Carolina, PR
Postdoctoral Position as QC Chemist Technical Services, 2015 to 2016
Designed, drafted, and reported on method validation, verification, and comparison protocols. Supported technical aspects of QC laboratories overseeing raw material and finished products. Completed postdoc in method improvement of compendia and non-compendia analytical methods.
- Participated in HPLC troubleshooting process; Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) office in laboratory waste cases; and simplification projects designed to complete QC tests in less time with procedure streamlining for analysts.
University of Puerto Rico -Molecular Science Research Center, San Juan, PR
Postdoctoral Position as Research Associate, 2014 to 2015
Drafted NSF and NIH proposals, scientific manuscripts, and patent documentation. Completed surface studies of organic nanoparticles from a wide variety of molecules template by a hierarchical supramolecular scaffold. Studied Raman spectrospoic characterization of the self-assembly of guanosine derivatives. Studied SH-SY5Y neuroblastoma cells with supramolecular hack sacks as a gene delivery carrier.
- Reorganized laboratory equipment and instrumentation.
- Learned laboratory management and supply process; proposal and patent writing.
- Assisted in writing and instrumental training of high school, undergraduate, and graduate students.
University of Puerto Rico, Rio Piedras Campus, Rio Piedras, PR
Research Assistant, 2009 to 2014
Assisted Dr. Jose M. Rivera in research and information gathering of organic synthesis and characterization of hydrophobic and hydrophilic thermo/PH responsive of 8ArG superamolecular hacky sacks for fundamental hydrophobicity studies, drug encapsulation, and delivery. Utilized internet searching, libraries, and textbooks to gather relevant information to produce reports.
- Trained to use laboratory instrumentation and organic synthesis and purification procedures.
- Collaborated with others to guide and instruct high school and undergraduate students needing assistance in special research projects.
Additional teaching experience at two Research Internships.
Laboratory Deviations | Instrument Troubleshooting | GMP | GLP | Compendia (USF-NF, EP, JP, and EP) | Non-Compendia Methods | SOP Writing | Method Validation | Verification | Comparison Protocols | Deviation Reduction | Waste Handling Technical Support | Method Improvement and Simplification
Empower | Smartlab | Regulus DC | PyMol | ChemDraw | ChemSketch | Spartan | Schrodinger/Maestro | MestReNova | LSM Image Browser | Origin Graph | Kaleida Graph | GraphPad PRISM
Organic Synthesis | Purification and Characterization of Organic and Inorganic Molecules | 1D and 2D Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy | High-Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC) | Waters and Agilent | Total Organic Carbon (TOC) Analyzer | Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM) | Confocal Laser Scanning Microscopy (CLSM) | Differential Scanning Micro Calorimeter (DSC) | Dynamic Light Scattering (DLS) | Zeta Potential (ZP) | Guava Easy Cyte Flow Cytometer | Ultraviolent Visible Spectroscopy (UV/Vis) | Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy (FT-IR) | Transmittance an ATR | Fluorescence Spectroscopy | Raman Spectroscopy | Mass Spectroscopy | ICP-OES
Lilly del Caribe Quality Control Project Presentation, 2016
Research Initiative for Scientific Enhancement Fellowship Award, 2010-2014
Alfred Sloan Award, Alfred Sloan Foundation, 2009
- Negrón, Luis M.; Rivera, José M.; Supramolecular Hacky Sacks, Method of Synthesis and Applications Thereof, Patent. No.: 10,106,572, Granted: Oct. 23, 2018.
- Negrón, Luis M.; Diaz Tanya L.; Ortiz, Edwin O.; Dieppa, Diómedes.; Madera, Bismark.; Rivera, José M.; Organic nanoflowers from a Wide Variety of Molecules Templated by a Hierarchical Supramolecular Scaffold. Langmuir. 2016, 32 (10), 2283-2990. DOI: 10.1021/acs.langmuir.5b03946.
- Negrón, Luis M.; Meléndez-Contés, Yazmary.; Rivera, José M.; Patchy Supramolecules as Versatile Tools To Probe Hydrophobicity in Nanoglobular Systems. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2013,135 (10), 3815-3817. DOI: 10.1021/ja401373h.